There are lots of ways to get involved this summer with Young Life Capernaum and Beyond, the newest group for friends with special needs who are past the age level of Capernaum:
Be a Camp leader or a buddy - In just a few weeks, August 23-26, the Beyond group is heading to Oakbridge Young Life Camp in San Diego and Montrose Church has the opportunity to send volunteers along to camp. Young Life offers outstanding training for leaders and buddies - and attending the exceptional facilities at Oakbridge is like a resort weekend getaway (almost). Spending a week at camp serves to eliminate the distractions of home, allows campers to spend very intentional time in Bible study and reflection with their leaders and just enjoy a place different from home. Leaders like Wendy Jacoby recently returned from “Lost Canyon,” a similar Young Life camp in Williams, Arizona. Read Wendy's story here.
Adopt-a-Club (serve as a LifeGroup) - We're looking for Montrose Church LifeGroups who can join with Young Life Capernaum to serve local students. Throughout the school year adult volunteer leaders and high school buddies integrate with our friends with special needs in a reverse-mainstream model. The one missing link is a group of adults to eagerly serve as the supportive backbone. Serving at Club meetings as an entire LifeGroup can collectively focus your love and service in an outreach setting with local special-needs teenagers. Your LifeGroup will be unified and blessed as you work together to:
- Provide dinner for Club meetings (optional)
- Welcome our friends to club
- Decorate clubroom, serve dinner, tear down, clear trash
- Supervise friends who wander outside, talk with parents, etc.
More ways to get involved with Young Life Capernaum include:
- Start/lead a LifeGroup for young adults, with Young Life leader support
- Invite our young adult friends to Montrose Church service projects
- Attend Club as a Crescenta Valley High School buddy (high school students only)
- Serve as a Young Life Capernaum leader
Do any of these areas sound like a place that you would like to get involved?
- Read more posts about Young Life Capernaum
- Contact Amy Nielsen, Greater Pasadena Young Life Capernaum Director,
Mon, August 13, 2012
by Kim Villa filed under